Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Young lady.

Well, it's that time again: Time for me to survey the room and realize that nothing is mine... REALLY mine. That's because I'm still dependent. People gave me things when I moved here--nice things, used things, things I didn't get to choose, things I accepted either out of actual need or out of politeness--none of them mine.

I bought my own mp3 player. That's mine. I bought the bottle of Strawberry Melon Fuze with job money. The empty CC's coffee house cup still in my car once held a latte that was bought with the same money. Little things here and there are mine, and they're mostly entertainment. I own books, comic books, DVDs, and an instrument. Everything else is given (mine, but in a different way) or borrowed.

It must sound like I believe that you are what you own. That's really not the case. I don't want an elaborate life with lots of nice things. I just want to be able to stand in the middle of my living room and think "I earned this..." and not by being a good, hard-working daughter whose parents saw fit to give her a break while she earned her degree. I don't want to depend on someone financially anymore. As terrible as it feels to say, I want to have different primary reasons for helping my folks with chores when I visit. Of course I love them and they deserve a little help. But my first thought it always still "they pay my bills, I can't say no." When I'm free, I'll still want to be the good helpful daughter... even moreso. Because I'll be free because of them.

That said, I know I'm never going to be an island, as much as I pretend to be sometimes. Success is almost never gained alone. If I ever have an ego big enough to think the victory of graduation is only mine, I hope that Australian guy from Jurassic Park puts me out of my misery while murmuring,"clever girl."

I still call people older than me "the adults" as opposed to me... a kid, I guess. People in the UK insisted I stop using "Mr." or "Ms." I was old enough to call anyone by their first name. I'd earned it as an adult. Man, that felt good. And coming home, it was a hard habit to break. I started thinking of myself as a young woman instead of "young lady!" I guess that's a start.

4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to that. It was such a relief when I finally got to the point of not depending on others for that kind of support.

    Oh, and if it makes you feel better, I never think of you as a lady, young or otherwise. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the reference to Jurassic Park, and I totally know which part you're talking about--when one of the velociraptors tricked the guy into thinking that she was the only dinosaur around. And lo and to the behold, there was another velociraptor hiding and waiting. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so damn old, I no longer know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete