Monday, August 24, 2009

summer's over

We're always asked to give our reason for wanting to teach on the first day of class. There are always these really happy-looking girls there who had a clarifying moment after working as nanny or a camp counselor. I've never wanted to work with children in any other way but education. I'm fascinated by their inability to stop asking questions. I think that they deserveto have teachers who will never get tired of hearing those questions--at least the good ones. Anyone would get tired of hearing "can I go to the bathroom" 20 times a day.

I didn't like the look I got today after class. A woman--a perfectly nice, smart family woman who came back for her degree--addressed me when we were dismissed. I was already on my phone discussing something important with someone back home. She saw the phone on my ear; she saw I was talking, but she kept asking me the same question. I couldn't hear her. I pointed to my phone and made a mildly apologetic face, even though she was starting to annoy me. She said "goodbye" in a very put-out tone that annoyed me. I didn't pick up the phone during a conversation; I was already in it!

The first day of class went very smoothly. I like my teachers so far, although one of them might have the flu.

2 comments:

  1. It's not a good sign for the impending months to like one's teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not necessarily true! I liked you the most from the very first day, Doc. ^_^

    ReplyDelete