Thursday, March 4, 2010

She might not be a giant

After memorizing a few songs on the ukulele and deciding that I don't suck anymore, it's time to suck at something again. Keeps me humble. So I've taken up songwriting.

So far I've only written one song about a very dear online friend... the first one I've kept for more than a few months. It wasn't too hard writing the lyrics. I'm definitely better at that than the melody-writing part. I'm all about simple, humble melodies and quirky lyrics, much like plenty of They Might Be Giants songs... not that all their melodies are simple.

On myspace music, you're supposed to list the musicians who inspire you. Since I don't have a page, I'll list them here:

They Might Be Giants
Leon Redbone
Billie Holiday
Shirley Horn
Ella Fitzgerald
Tom Waits

...to name a few. I love lots of bands/musicians like these people, but these are the big 6 who make we want to perform myself. Someday, I hope to write songs that are actually good, not just entertaining. Life gets boring if I don't set a new goal every now and then, unrelated to the normal goals like... read more, write more, exercise, look up new lesson plans, etc etc etc.

Here's a link to my youtube thread if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhw4

3 comments:

  1. Can'tcha throw in Lightin' Hopkins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your song writing.

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the youtube link works. It brought me to my own videos... anyway, I just ran across your blog as I follow it and thought I'd check in. I'm from Laffy too. Everyone loves a Cajun girl.

    ReplyDelete