Monday, May 4, 2009

I own a ukulele now.

It's a red, cherry wood, "pineapple" ukulele. I've been toying with the idea of taking it up for months now, and I finally took the plunge. The prices ranged from nine to 200 dollars. In the end I picked one up on ebay from a wholesale music shop for $40. Jake found it and linked me to it. It was the first one that I found that appealed to me visually, and it looked sturdy enough. I listened to a lot of samples of both cheap and expensive ukuleles. They don't all have the same richness, but they all sound cheerful.

2 comments:

  1. It's a fine choice. It's one of the few instruments that just oozes cheerfulness.

    You almost never hear a dirge written for the ukulele.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stand tall and be proud of your ukulele, much like romantic-movie star Rudy Vallee when he would play his ukulele in those 1930s movies. I too stood tall against the laughter of my neighbors when my instrument arrived in the mail: a genuine replica of a 1950s, Mississippi-pine wood, Howling Wolf blues harmonica.

    ReplyDelete