Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Things that happened today, 5/5/09

That's the best title I could come up with. It's been an interesting day.

1: I had this odd dream. There are almost always Venetian-inspired cities in my dreams--communities built on or around bodies of water and canals. In this one, there was a river that seperated two cities--one made of leathery tents and one of caves. On the tent side were these people with dark brown skin, shaved heads, and white linen clothing. On the other side were Inuit-looking people in loincloths.
I was swimming in the lake for some reason (I always get into this kind of trouble in my subconscious), and one of the tent people pulled me out of the water. He started lashing me with this cat-of-nine-tails and telling me that my kind wasn't allowed here. Then he threw me back in the water. The Inuit-looking people shot darts at me as I swam away.
Finally, I reached what I guess was my destination: an enormous ship that housed every person I've ever known. We were all traveling down this river together. There was a theatre, a kitchen, enough private bedrooms for everyone, and even a little shuttle boat you could hop onto if you wanted to go to land for some reason. My favorite part was a hologram beach you could sunbathe on. The lamp that must have posed as the true sun felt very warm and pleasant after swimming a long way. When my fellow passengers found out what had happened to me, they decided to teach the attackers a lesson.
That's where the dream gets fuzzy. I don't know if we ever exacted revenge at all. To be honest, it wouldn't have accomplished anything, anyway. They just seemed to be really territorial folk who didn't want any strangers around. I woke up feeling scared. The pain of being whipped had felt very real. I feel guilty. Am I prejudiced against dark-skinned and Inuit people? Why did I dream about that?

2: As I was walking to work, I passed the lake that's on LSU campus. A guy was in the dirty water (close to the Highland sidewalk, where people dump everything) fishing out a chair. He said he had promised someone he would. His clothes and wallet were on the cement. I didn't say anything to him or his friends except, "this will make for an interesting memeory."

3. I received notice that my ukulele shipped. After 6 months of thinking about it, I finally just bought one to play around with. It was a hassle to purchase online, though. My bank had put a hold on my debit card for something that flagged their fraud alert. They didn't even notify me about it, either. So they'll be sending a new card soon. Mom paid for it for me through paypal. I owe her 40$, and now I don't have to wait for them to get the money order and THEN ship it. Estimated shipping time is 3 days. I hope it gets here by Friday.

2 comments:

  1. You're lucky with dreams 1 and 2. At least they have a sense of rainy refreshment and green atmosphere. My recurring dream occurs in the hot and dry desert, focusing on a city there filled with zombies stuffed with money in their pockets, a city called Vas Legas or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh, I guess I kind of am. But the second wasn't a dream. That actually happened.

    ReplyDelete