Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I might love you, yeah, but I love me more.

Jeez.

Usually I don't like to talk about how songs hit me. It's hard to explain why. I don't like to gush, I suppose. I feel like my words are cheapening what I feel. That must be a common worry--that there's no way we can possibly describe our emotions without coming off as cliche' or something.

But screw it, I've just listened to one of my favorite Cowboy Mouth songs, "New Orleans." It's about a girl who cheats on a guy. Old news, right? Near the end of the song, Fred Leblanc sings:

But sometimes when she sleeps, she turns and she whispers his name.

This line always just breaks me. I can feel something rising up my throat, and my head even aches a little. My stomach churns, and there are little sharp sensations all over me, like I'm being cut.

I have never been cheated on, but the idea of losing trust in someone forever is such a nightmare situation for me. That type of betrayal is something I've never experienced. The unknown can be really scary, I guess, because that one little line never softens. The image just hits me--A guy lying in bed restlessly, and he hears a stranger's name over and over, every night, until he finally has to end it. Must be torture.

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of the similar and beautifully sad song by the late folk-country singer, Mickey Newbury: "How Many Times (Must the Piper Be Paid for His Song)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took forever for me to think of this one, but Joey by Concrete Blonde does the same thing to me. I heard it in high school, and I remember realizing just how completely heartbreaking relationships could be just from this one song. To this day, every time I hear it my heart breaks a little.

    ReplyDelete