Monday, November 16, 2009

An unfortunate weakness

Novel writing month disheartens me. I can't write quickly for one reason: I'm good at describing, I'm good at developing characters, and I'm good at creating a vivid setting. What can't I do? Advance the damn plot.

I've begun writing a simple adventure story that comes from an old dream I wrote down. There's not much to it but the story. Therefore I won't have much else to focus on. It's about knights and the kinds of adventures they have. So of course, we've got a bunch of brave, bold people trotting around on horses. Sure, it might become something better than that. But if not, at least I'll have gotten closer to moving the action along instead of just describing people and things and writing tons of dialogue.

My goal is to break myself of the habit of focusing on those perfect little pockets of a story that I spend so much time developing and think about what I want to say and what I want my characters to do. I really don't want my schedule to make my writing any more stale than it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment