Sunday, November 22, 2009

Must I write?

There was an article that my Senior English class was required to read. I loved it. Most of the class hated it. They found it snobby and elitist. Let me explain.

It was about what makes art, and that liking something doesn't automatically make something good--especially in the eyes of experienced critics. Writing from the heart is a nice idea, but the truth is that more goes into it than heart. It takes work, thought, and so much cutting and cleaning up. By the time it's finished, the author has poured more than just their soul into it. What they've revealed is their character, their patience. It's not easy, just like any other art. And when you think about really raw, "passionate" writing, it makes sense--all the gratuitous adjectives, the unbearable level of drama. Making it something that people can relate to is a greater challenge than clumsily spilling your guts onto paper. But it's comforting to think that it's possible, I suppose, to have a masterpiece in hours instead of months or years.

The part of the article that keeps me from quitting every time writing gets hard was an aside. He wanted the reader to know that he wasn't saying that heart and passion weren't important. If someone is unsure about whether or not they are supposed to write, he or she need only ask one question: "Must I write?" If your life would seem empty without it, then yes, you must. You're "supposed" to. If you care that much, then you're likely to have the patience to do the cleaning--the stuff that's probably less fun. And you'll probably be willing to kill off and cut away parts of your baby for the sake of a cleaner story.

I cannot and will not give up.

2 comments:

  1. Then you have the heart of an authentic writer. (I write only to escape the little woman's list of daily chores.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, doc, when I'm feeling depressed and hopeless about my writing, I think about how you nominated me for the Fine Arts award in high school, and I feel refreshed. So thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete