Thursday, December 10, 2009

*Insert safe question here*

The inability of humans to be satisfied and/or live in the moment comes through in the small talk with which we assault innocent people. We all endure a series of questions that plagues all people whose description is similar to ours. For example, I can guess what every heterosexual woman hears throughout her lifetime:

-->So, what do you plan to do after high school?

-->So what do you plan to do with your degree? And when do you graduate? *more general "how's school" questions"

-->So you've been dating __ years? When are you planning on making it official?

-->Congratulations! So when are you getting pregnant???

-->So, what have you been doing since your eggs went away?

-->Would you care for a black or brown casket?

Ok, maybe I made the last two up. Older people have it good in at least one respect: no one bothers them about the next stages of their lives that much. I suppose we have a need for small talk, but I'd prefer it if it was considered "acceptable" in mixed company to ask more interesting questions.

I'd like to ask people questions that my boyfriend asks me when we're bored, such as: "Would you rather fly or be invisible?" As tempting as invisibility is--easier to hide from small talk--I'd prefer to fly. I guess either of them would be good powers for escaping inane chatter, though.

Inviso-bird, awaaaaaaay!

2 comments:

  1. So what are you going to do when your blog contract expires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably have to start buying paper again.

    ReplyDelete