Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What could have been a terrible day.

I wanted to throw a rock at the construction worker who stared at me while I cried beside my car this morning. My tire was shredded. The sounds and smells of morning traffic were oppressive, and for the first time in weeks I cared that no one was answering their phone. Car accidents are harder when you realize you don't have anyone in town to call for help. I missed my first meeting with my host teacher at Dutchtown Primary School because of a freak blowout. I'm always so careful about my tires.

On top of that, my thumb still hurt from the night before. I sliced it down to the bone when I tried to avoid the kitchen knife that I dropped. I figured I should probably visit the doctor, because it took me five minutes just to button up my shirt.

Long story short, everything is sorted out. I'm healing fast after my trip to the LSU clinic, and my car is fine. Bouncing back emotionally isn't easy for me. Going on with my life physically is not a problem. When things need to be done, I grudgingly do them. But today was different. The beautiful day, my kind brother, and the faces of my future colleagues kept me from staying in my bad mood.

The most memorable thing about this day was sitting next to Clyde while waiting for the bus. He's a maintenance man at LSU who I see from time to time. We were talking about his new phone that has music and TV shows on it. "So you're never bored," I laughed.

"Never bored! No excuse to be bored! If you're bored, you're just a boring person." I agreed, and he finished with: "There are crayons that got more life than some people in this world."

Although I prefer not to have access to television at all times (nor do I equate it to liveliness), the thought still brightened my afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to have people around who make you feel better.

    The part where you mentioned the sliced thumb made me cringe. Ouch!! I kinda freak out just thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was definitely not pleasant.

    Funny thing... a week after the injury, I made a new batch of the exact same dish I had been preparing the night it happened. I wanted to see if the curse was broken.

    ReplyDelete