Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Love is green beans

I'm risking it all to go out into Christmas traffic for my big sister--my sanity, my Christmas spirit, and my driver's license (who knows who I'll kill). But that is love. And I know that she and anyone else in my family would do the same for me. In reality it's not a chore at all. I just found myself whining about it, slapped myself, and decided to write.

I can count on my siblings for anything and everything. They probably don't know how much they give me. Nothing is more fun than sharing a moment of mad rage with my sister about the state of the world. And nothing is more comforting than a wise one-liner from my brother when I'm feeling so frustrated or so sad that I can't even think straight. They are the greatest friends. Maybe that's why I'm not a good friend to other people. I've always had everything that I need.

People say love is shitty sometimes, but I can never bring myself to focus on what makes love hard.

Love is complex. Out of love, people have taken my side out of blind loyalty and forced me to turn my head and see the other side of a situation.... in the same night.

Love is simple. If you love someone enough, you can do right by them, and that is that.

Love is comforting. Having people, near or far, who are glad that they met you is an unrivaled blessing.

Love is painful, because goodbye is as much a part of life as hello.

Christmas is here. It's the time I think about life and love the most. I think about what I have accomplished, what I have left to do, and how many things I have to be thankful for.

So much is undone, but I can always remember this: The most generous, wise, and beautiful people I know keep loving me more and more each year, so I must be doing something right.

I love you Mom, Dad, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, my fella, friends, old family friends, pets, people here and people away. When I sit down, close my eyes, and think about the perfect definition for love, I see your faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment