Monday, December 22, 2008

Picking myself apart--stuff you might already know

The Yes Man wasn't a terribly great movie. There were no surprises, extremely fresh characters, or risks. But there was a message I could relate to. Carl--Jim Carrey's character--is a call-screening homebody who doesn't really care to do much. I don't fit the caricature exactly, but my lazy, content weekends somehow spilled over into everyday life. There are lots of things I would like to do, but for every non-school, non-work challenge that comes my way, there are at least 3 excuses not to: Money, cutting into homework time, and I'm just plain tired.

But what about the rock climbing I've wanted to do again for four years? What about karaoke nights, which I love? What about going out just for the sake of seeing other people and remembering the world outside my apartment? It's easy to go overboard with this, especially since I just stopped feeling guilty for being content--content about a lot of things. I'm ok with getting a B, I'm ok with still being a size 18 as long as I exercise and make healthy choices every day. I'm ok with being happy at home. But I'm not ok with letting everyday comfort stand in the way of experiences.

With that in mind, I've decided to find a rock climbing place before the holiday ends. If the closest one is out of town, I might have to plan to go later, but it's more than I did before. I'd also like to go to more bookstores. It's time to start filling my bookshelf with more than just required reading. I don't want to be an Emily Dickinson author--writing (or appearing to write) only for herself and close family. I want to be a writer for all people. I want to understand people and have them understand my message--not all, but more. And I can't do that if I remain in hiding.

There are interesting people out there, despite my many negative experiences. There are songs I want people to hear me sing. There are fears for me to conquer and mistakes to make. I haven't made nearly enough mistakes. Look for me on the front page the night of my first karaoke set or open mic night: "Husky, inebriated Cajun steals hearts, karaoke equipment"

No comments:

Post a Comment