Saturday, April 4, 2009

Trolling

I recently had to use a men's restroom out of pure urgency, and I hated it.

There's always so much annoying stuff written on the walls. On this one in particular had anti-Islam statements, anti-Christian statements (not just "I don't like religion," but more of a "we should ship these people away on a boat that's sure to sink" vibe), and lots of nihilistic whiny crap that you can expect from upper-middle class kids who are becoming acquainted with the cruelty of life from a comfortable, safe distance.

Then it hit me: I'm looking at the work of early Trolls--jerks who wandered the Earth before the web hoping for an outlet for their ignorance and hate. I guess bathroom walls are still more cost effective. At least I saw one thing that wasn't drivel: A weighted companion cube. If i didn't have a problem with defacing property (even property that's already gone to seed) I'd have written that the cake was the truth... just to try and bring some positivity to the old WC.

2 comments:

  1. What you are witnessing is a dying art form. You should count yourself lucky that you witnessed it while you could. If I had my way, every bathroom would come equipped with dry erase markers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bathroom walls are Serious Business.

    ReplyDelete