Monday, April 27, 2009

It's been a while.

I feel as though a lot has changed over the semester.

For example, after taking a class all about implementing technology in education, I've become more resistant to it. That's probably because it requires lots of group work and mixing little sticky creatures with expensive equipment. So many of our activities seem useless--or at least inefficient--after discussing in my Psychology class that research points to Direct Instruction is the most effective teaching method. That means the teacher serves as the leader of the class and not just a casual guide. A lot of the activities we discussed in my Tech class were about letting children explore technology.

There's something to be said for exploration, but in a class day there's so little time. A lot of the projects and software we talked about would be more effective after some learning took place. Why not put the information in a neat--but still interesting--package and hope that your teaching has inspired them to explore in their own time? Isn't that part of what makes someone intelligent? They seek knowledge even when it's not mandatory.

The closer graduation looms, the more I start thinking about how to spend my time in the classroom as efficiently as possible. That doesn't mean I'll be boring, but why stick the kids in front of a computer and demand that they learn when that's supposed to be my job? It feels too much like a parent relying heavily upon developmental baby DVDs and then spending no time with the child.

I still wonder how I'm going to attract attention to my lessons in the first place. So many teachers in my past have served as inspiration, but I don't want to steal anyone's act. I'll have to let that question brew when I go back to tutoring and observation next semester.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, college education courses: "la plus ca change . . . "

    ReplyDelete