Monday, January 12, 2009

The first preacher of the season

If I remember correctly, the fire and brimstone preachers always crawl out in the Spring semesters. At least the man I encountered today didn't bring his children. It's unfair and a little cruel to subject kids to the level of mocking that skeptical students are capable of.

He held a sign that said "YOU DESERVE HELL" in yellow and green letters. A Methodist, he assured us that he did not represent the Methodist church--only the kingdom of God. I'm sure the Methodists are grateful. I respect him more than the others--not only for coming alone and not using children for his cause, but for opening his ears to our questions. Sure, his answers were slanted and did not satisfy the crowd, but he answered everyone as well as he could.

It takes resolve and courage to do what he does. Those are great qualities in theory. I don't agree with much of what he said, but I his actions remind me of one of my most solid beliefs: God knows and has mercy on those who truly want to help the world. This guy might not be helping, but he's taking action the best way he knows how. I would have used a more positive approach. You know what they say--you catch more flies with honey. It's difficult to ridicule the man, because that's what he'll have to listen to all day. Why throw another comment on the pile?

I've argued with myself about that "solid" belief of mine. George Carlin did too when he said that motivated people are the most dangerous. Of course many of them are. But when a misguided person does more harm than good, who comes forward to tell them so?---a person who is motivated to do so. So it's somehow, sometime going to even out, at least in my mind. And if it doesn't well, at least there will be people who can say that they tried.

Good luck, angry Methodist man, on your own path to clarity. I don't think that every student deserves hell. Maybe God gives everyone a 4-year grace period. We're bombarded with information, and it feels almost arrogant to assume which path is best when so many look promising. My four years are up. Good thing I believe in forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment