Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh ye of selective faith

Here's a common conversation between aunts, uncles, and parents when I was a kid:

Adult 1: I always take the eucharist, but I never take the wine.

Adult 2: Oh, I know! They wipe it off every time, but you can just never be sure.

Adult 1: You never can.

Adult 2: I love God, but I'm not getting a cold!

Adult 1: Seriously. It's a flawed way of doing it.

They believe in transubstantiation. That takes a lot of faith. When I was a kid, I figured that sacredness killed surface germs. The reward for our faith and courage was not catching a cold, that is. All I'm saying is, I never once got sick after going to mass. It doesn't seem that unbelievable, comparatively.

2 comments:

  1. Germ-transmission illness more likely will come from the congregation members' handshakes and holding of hands during certain prayers. That's why I make sure I sit in a dark, isolated corner in the last pew, and wear fake hand bone-fracture bandages. God watches over those who watch out for themselves, I always say. Right, God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would have a good comment for this one. :) I really wanted to bring this up in Theology class, but I must have forgotten.

    Peace be with you, brother Gargoyle. I give you a nice, clean nod.

    ReplyDelete