Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I feel a little cold coming on.

My new favorite TV show is Dexter. I used to really dislike most television, and then I learned about that, The Office, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the last of which I've yet to actually check out. But it looks great. Cartoons used to be my thing--the only thing I'd watch.

I've maintained my attachment to cartoons and comic books into adulthood. No matter how good CG gets, there are still such big limitations on live action shows and movies. In animation, because everything that's happening is either drawn or created by a computer, everything looks seamless. I'm not thinking about how much work they did (or DIDN'T do) to make an effect. I guess it sucks me in way more than most television.

Home Movies is an underrated cartoon. It was made for adults, but people automatically get turned off because the main character is an 8-year-old. The dialogue is clever and snappy, and it's even funnier coming from elementary school kids. It makes me sad when people won't give it a chance. So much TV writing out there stinks. It's a shame when a talented guy's creation gets the brush-off just because of the medium he chose.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you're not the only one. At my advanced age I'm enjoying my Christmas gift of issues of the old comic book, "Blackhawk." (Now if I could only find some old "Little Lulu.")

    If you haven't yet caught "Flight of the Conchords" on HBO, try to see it; I think you'll enjoy it.

    -Old Gargoyle
    -Old Gargoyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Little Lulu. I haven't heard of her in a LONG time. I'm looking up some "Flight..." videos right now. Thanks for the tip, Doc!

    ReplyDelete