Thursday, January 1, 2009

My mirror broke.

I can't be bothered to look it up now, but someone sometime said something along the lines of:

We usually have in ourselves the things we dislike in other people.

This is sadly true for me, or at least it used to be. Up until recently, I was a notorious projector of my own faults and fears. The unhappy recipient of this was my significant other. He never complained about it, because he knew that I knew the truth. Even when I didn't admit it to him, he had faith that whatever problem I had would blow over that night when I went to bed and thought about my words. My accusations had no roots--at least in him. Realizing this over and over taught me to be responsible for my own feelings and my own actions.

People cannot help how they react to things that I say and do--that's part of their personality.
Sometimes, people can purposely egg others on or push their buttons. But this was rarely true with me. Not only did I often see my faults in others, but I imagined my faults in others. What an unfair person I was. I'm still nowhere near saintly, but knowing that I can speak directly about my feelings and my worries instead of transferring the burden and blame to another comforts me greatly at night.

That said, I've come to realize that one of my pet peeves is bullshit---not the kind of bullshit you hear from a drunk man boasting that he can bench 350. No, I'm referring to the bullshit I used to spew myself. I guess once I started seeing it more from the outside instead of in myself, I realized how awful it is. This disgust makes me cringe, though, because it makes me feel like I felt when I did Weight Watchers. Everyone was a target for my health preaching, because I myself was finally on the way to a healthy life. I don't know how much that counts when it comes to living a good and moral life, but that person's never the life of the party. As comfortable as I am with my view from the soap box, it's time to get just as comfortable on eye level.

Therefore, my next goal is to try and channel my frustration. By now you all think I'm egotistical, and you're right. It's another thing I have to work on. But leave this entry knowing that I'm aware that my failings are my own to work on, and I plan to . Becoming a better person who tries harder to relate to people---that's my New Year's Resolution.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Cajun Gal! Try to work some of that rock climbing into your schedule. Hey, did I tell you I can bench-press 350?

    -Ye Old Gargoyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, you unusually strong retired educator, you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being able to relate to people is pretty great, but don't let it drag you down into a pit of despair either. Some people might have big problems, but that doesn't mean that your problems are meaningless.

    Enjoy walking around down here, with the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks Kev. So nice not to judge me and my crabby, critical self.

    ReplyDelete