Saturday, January 10, 2009

A new semester

I'm finally getting over the feelings of guilt and regret about my school situation. I'm 24 and have about a year and a half of school left because I just had to give culinary school a try. And because I didn't always work I have no money. And because I have no money I'm still VERY dependent (although now I'm RABIDLY against not working through the year--and I save from every paycheck). At any rate, I'm not where I wanted to be at this age.

I'm not really looking for a "don't feel that way" speech, because I give that one to myself all the time, and it's nothing I haven't heard before. When I look back, I hope that smiling comes easier when I look over those John Folse Institute years and am able to be just thankful for the opportunity---without other negative emotions ruining it.

Growing up in a largely Republican area of Louisiana has given me an unclean start, politically. But no one has a clean one, I suppose. When Obama was elected, here were my thoughts: Well, I read up about a lot of his platforms, and it doesn't sound too bad, but everyone is so scared. I wonder what I'm missing. I guess the best thing to do is get behind him since he's elected now and keep on reading. At LSU there were parties outside the dorms. The more spoiled-looking students who lived there--the ones who got all their information from mom and dad and nothing else--moped in the lobby as the president elect gave his speech. They glared at the happy people outside. They know nothing of their own doom!

Maybe I should care more or put more emotion into it, but there is so much information to go through about both sides, who can know everything? Who can say beyond a doubt that everything is going to be ruined? Well, not experts, because they disagree all the time! It's hard to say to my friends and family, but I feel hopeful. I don't belch out the mantra of "change" like a lot of his more wide-eyed, clueless followers, but I'm hopeful.

1 comment:

  1. The day probably will come when you'll be able to live in a politically-culturally liberal region, which will bring thought expansion or at least challenge. I've always tried to avoid extremes; I've found extreme conservatism to be boring, rigid, or even dangerous, and extreme liberalism to be mindless, silly, or stupid.

    ReplyDelete