Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Venti is twenty.

I loathe Starbucks coffee. Well, I loathe U.S.A. Starbucks coffee. The one in London was much better. But the point here is this: If I'm on campus and PJ's and CC's are both closed--leaving only the Seattle-based coffee shop--I'd rather nurse a caffeine headache.

But at LEAST their word for an extra-large coffee means something. Venti means 20 in Italian. At CC's, it's infuriating enough not to be able to say "large," but to have to say "Super-grande please!" Come on now. It feels like there was so little thinking involved in the naming of their huge cup of coffee.

And HEY! Community Coffee is a Louisiana company, so why don't we at least use French? If we're going to hop on the complicating-coffee bandwagon, we might as well use the language of our ancestors. Oh well. Grande is still grande in French. No one would bother to pronounce it differently. This is where I tell myself to pick my battles carefully.

PJ's coffee is mild and mediocre, but I like going there. I'm allowed to say "small, medium, large" without being stoned with stale muffins.

2 comments:

  1. I don't get how you can treat customers like that. Yeah I understand they're trying to build an organizational culture. But I don't think "being rude" is covered in their employee manual.

    And I'm the customer goddamnit. Te first time I went into Starbucks and ordered a medium, and got the speech, I just replied with, "You know what I mean."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd love the CC's baristas. They're nice. Community Coffee houses feel a lot more homey than Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete